Saturday 3 August 2024

Louise Mumford on how her place within the thriller genre has evolved – from dystopian fiction to locked room mysteries

The great thing about the thriller genre is how wide and welcoming it is, encompassing elements of the domestic, the gothic and the psychological amongst others. I’ve now written four thriller books and in that time I started off in the near-future with my first book Sleepless and ended up in the present day in a festival in mid-Wales in my latest one called The Festival. I’ll try to explain how I navigated that path.

My first thriller Sleepless centres around a desperate insomniac who jumps at the chance to be part of a new sleep technology trial. But once she arrives at the island where the trial is to take place she realises that the technology company don’t want to simply help her sleep, but control it. In this book I’m writing in the near-future – not quite dystopian yet but the world I’m describing is fast speeding towards it! The sleep technology designed to help fix a person’s sleeping patterns does not yet exist, but I’m sure it is only a matter of time.

From there I went into the forest and into a bunker-like house in the woods for my next thriller The Safe House. I’m very inspired by locations – houses or islands like in Sleepless, the island in that inspired by Caldey Island just off the coast of Tenby in Wales. This bunker in the woods – why is it air-tight and sealed off? Who lives there and feels they have to live this way? The inhabitants, Hannah and her severely asthmatic daughter Esther, believe that the world outside is a dangerous place due to, not war or famine, but the air itself – polluted beyond repair. The unravelling of this belief is the driving force behind the rest of the story.

And then that is where I left the near-future and made the leap to write in the here-and-now. My third and fourth thrillers are very location-based, carrying on the inspiration that fuelled my first two books. In The Hotel I wanted to write about a dramatically ruined Gothic hotel on the equally dramatic coastline of West Wales. Essentially trapping my characters within its walls for most of the action (with a little trip to its overgrown maze!) meant I could do what interests thriller writers the most: push ordinary, everyday characters to their limit with their backs against the wall and see how they react. In this case it is four old friends led by my main character Bex who lost one of their group, Leo, on a past trip to explore the ruined hotel and have to team up again a decade on to finally discover what happened to him.

With my fourth book I found myself wanting to continue with that idea of trapping characters somewhere but having the location be more open and chaotic – of course, a big outdoor British music festival fit the bill perfectly. The festival in my book is called Solstice and is entirely imaginary, centred around welcoming the longest day but the inspiration is very much Green Man festival near Crickhowell and, of course, the behemoth that is Glastonbury. My main character Libby wins tickets to it but, once she’s there and her friend disappears, she realises that finding her is going to uncover a very dark side to this sunny festival and put her own life in danger.

Will I stray into the near-future again? Who knows? There’s a real thrill to creating my own idea of what the future has in store for us but, at this moment, I think I can say with confidence that I’m very happy in the present.


 The Festival by Louise Mumford (Harper Collins Publishers) Out Now

Missed out on Glastonbury this year? Solstice Festival promises to be a KILLER weekend…

 Libby can’t believe her luck when she wins two tickets to the biggest event of the summer: Solstice, a music festival celebrating the longest day of the year. Wanting to escape their problems for a few days, Libby, and her best friend Dawn head deep into the Welsh countryside for a weekend of sun, fun and festivities. But what promised to be an exciting trip quickly turns into Libby’s worst nightmare. The scorching heat intensifies, the music becomes wilder, the people more unpredictable. When Dawn goes missing, Libby worries that something sinister has happened to her friend. And as Libby learns more about the festival’s dark origins, she begins to fear that something might happen to her too…

More information about Louise Mumford can be found on her website.  You can also find her on Facebook, follow her on X @louise_mumford and on Instagram @louisemumfordauthor



No comments: