Thursday 29 August 2024

Rob Starr on The Importance of Having Female Led Characters in Crime Novels

When I wrote my first novel What the Tide Brings Back it felt totally natural for me to make two out of the three main characters female, with Lilly and Marlene.  Lilly particularly fascinated me when I was writing about her and her need for revenge against those who wronged her was as frightening as it was necessary.  And Marlene, who is based on a real person by the same name, is one of the kindest and most interesting people I know.

When I started to write my latest novel, The First Widow, I again found myself instinctively making my main protagonists female, with Kiara Fox, Sophia and The Lady.  In fact all the main characters in The First Widow happen to be female.   I should say that this was not by design, it just felt natural to write it this way. Making the villains of the book all female as well was really interesting for me as it meant that Kiara had to struggle between on the one hand understanding why the Widows were taking revenge on their abusive husbands but on the other hand not being able to square that circle with taking a life.  I don’t think I could have written that juxtaposition if either Kiara or the Widows had been male.

Going forward I am really excited about developing Kiara Fox’s character and seeing what else she can achieve and how she is able to face the challenges thrown at her.  Working as a fraud investigator really allows Kiara to face so many different challenges, and if I am able to I want to always try to challenge her by throwing in moral dilemmas that mean she doesn’t condone what they do, but totally understands why.

Interestingly if I think back to other books that have had a lasting effect on me it seems that they always have females as the lead, or certainly as major contributors to the story.

For instance, characters like Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games series or Celie from The Colour Purple really resonated with me not only because of their strength but also because of their vulnerabilities. Strength and Vulnerability, being equal in measure, somehow seem harder to portray and believe in a man than they do in a woman.

I think that as a male reader, strong female characters create much more empathy and understanding. By stepping into the shoes of a well-rounded female protagonist, it feels like I can get more of an insight into the experiences and struggles that women face, which are very different from my own. This perspective is eye-opening for me and challenges my sometimes-preconceived notions about gender roles. 

In many books, especially crime, female characters have usually been relegated to much more passive roles, defined by their relationships with the lead men in the story. However, strong female leads break away from these restrictive moulds and challenge our stereotypes that have long dictated what it means to be a woman. Woman should not be confined to the roles of damsels in distress or supporting characters; instead, because they are complex, multifaceted individuals with their own goals and desires, they should be allowed to take a lead role in the same way a man does.

By creating strong female characters in my books, I can really focus on what women can be and do, both in fiction and of course in the real world. In real life woman are leaders, creatives and visionaries, each with their unique strengths and weaknesses. This is crucial in a world that often seems to pigeonhole individuals based on gender.

I am fortunate to be married to the most capable, talented and extraordinary women. Sharon is talented, creative, kind and so capable that marriage has been one of partnership.  And the roles we have taken in our life together have not been based on gender ability, they have been based on our individual abilities.  Both of us have been able to achieve so many things together, but I know with absolute certainty that if I wasn’t around that she would keep achieving and achieving and would be as incredible as she is with me next to her.  I imagine that the reason I have created such strong female characters in my books is very much down to being married to someone as strong and capable as Sharon is. 

 The First Widow by Rob Starr (Just Once Publishing) Out Now.

Over a hundred husbands dead, one prisoner, one fraud investigator and countless secrets. The most horrifying case of Kiara Fox’s career… Kiara Fox leads a seemingly ordinary life as a highly respected fraud investigator for SEICO Insurance. With a loving husband and twin daughters, her world seems perfect. But when a case involving a wealthy man named Martin Power lands on her desk, she senses something off. Despite her husband, work colleagues and friends urging her to approve the claim and move on, Kiara can't shake the feeling that something sinister is at play. Forced to pay the claim, Kiara soon discovers that Martin Power's folder has vanished. In a shocking twist, she finds the missing folder hidden within another investigator’s files—Michael Hall from the Bristol office. It’s identical to her own case, sparking her determination to uncover the truth. As innocent people begin to die, she realises there’s more behind this than first meets the eye. She finds herself up against the widows, a ruthless group of women murdering their husbands for life insurance payouts. Torn between protecting her own family and uncovering the masterminds behind the widows, Kiara faces an impossible choice. Can Kiara stop the widows before more innocent lives are lost?

More information about Rob Starr and his books can be found on his website. He can also be found on X @author_starr and on Instagram @robstarr_author and on Facebook


No comments: