Sunday, 16 August 2026

In The St Hilda's Spotlight - Martyn Waites

Name: - Martyn Waites (AKA C.B Everett)

Job: - Author

Introduction: -

Martyn Waites is the author of the Stephen Larkin, Joe Donovan and Tom Killgannon series. In 2006 the first book in his Joe Donovan series The Mercy Seat was shortlisted for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel dagger. Under the pseudonym Tania Carver he wrote eight books in the Brennan and Esposito series. The first book in the series Little Bones was shortlisted in 2010 for the Theakston Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year. In 2013, he was chosen to write Angel of Death, the official sequel to Susan Hill’s The Woman in Black. In 2014 he received the Grand Prix du Roman Noir Award for his novel Born Under Punches which was the fourth book in his Stephen Larkin Series.

Under the name C B Everett, he is currently the author of two books. The most recent being The Final Chapter.

Current book? (This can either be the current book that you are reading or writing or both)

The current one for writing is the new CB Everett, Destroying Angels, which I’ve just finished. Literally, just. And for reading: Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay which is absolutely fantastic.

Why do you think anti-heroes are so interesting to readers?

In the same way that villains are always popular (certainly with actors, much more fun to play), anti-heroes appeal to the side of human nature that lets us get away with things, with not being hidebound by sticking to the rules. They may do the right thing, but it’ll usually be for the wrong reasons. They’re not big on altruism. 

Which two anti-heroes or enemies would you invite to dinner and why?

Hannibal Lector, as long as he wasn’t doing the cooking, and Dexter from Jeff Lindsay’s novels and the TV series. I reckon I’d be safe with them and if Hannibal was bringing the wine, I’d know I’d be drinking something good.

How do you relax?

 How do I what? That’s like being asked what hobbies I have. None. Everything I do is for work, or can be construed to be for work. Reading? Work. Watching a film or TV? Work. Going for a bike ride? Work, if it’s helping me think about writing. The only thing I do that could be classed as relaxing is making models because that uses a different part of the brain and recharges you. Ready to work. 

Which anti hero would you like to be on your side in a difficult situation?

Again, probably Hannibal Lector. He has immaculate manners so if I were to point out that someone was being disrespectful then he would have them. I’d probably feel safe with him.

If you were to write a book involving an anti-hero where would you set it and why?

Already have. See below.

How would you describe your latest published book?

It’s The Final Chapter by my new pseudonym CB Everett. In the words of The Guardian, it’s ‘a metafictional tour de force’. A new novel has appeared by a hugely successful writer who disappeared fifteen years ago.  The writer wants his old friend, CB Everett, to edit the book and make notes. Everett soon realises that the novel contains clues as to where the writer is now and what happened to him. It’s a novel within a novel and brilliant fun to read.

With Bad Apples: crime fiction’s enemies and anti-heroes theme at St Hilda's this year, who are you three favourite anti-heroes?

Well, since I’m writing about them I’ve got to include George Harvey Bone from Patrick Hamilton’s Hangover Square and Mr Gorse from Patrick Hamilton’s Gorse Trilogy. Third? Probably Dexter again.

Which 3 films or television series featuring anti-heroes would you rewatch and why?

This will come as no surprise, but Hannibal and Dexter (obviously) and The Shield featuring Michael Chiklis as corrupt cop Vic Mackey. It’s kind of slipped off the radar now but it’s one of the best TV series ever made. I’m due a rewatch.

What are you looking forward to at St Hilda's?

Having a laugh with my mates!

The Final Chapter by C.B Everett (Simon & Schuster)

A missing author. A lost manuscript. A final chapter that could reveal the truth. Ten years ago, bestselling literary novelist Jonathan Durward vanished without a trace - leaving behind no body, no answers, and no final book. Now that missing manuscript has finally surfaced. But it isn’t the masterpiece anyone expected. It’s a spy novel: pulpy, outlandish, and packed with clichés, tradecraft and Bond-style twists. Jonathan’s former publisher asks his closest friend, fellow author C. B. Everett, to annotate the novel and separate fact from fiction. But as C. B. reads, he begins to spot unsettling echoes of real people, real events - and perhaps the truth about Jonathan’s disappearance. Because hidden inside this strange, slippery thriller may be a confession. Or a clue. Or a trap. As C. B. is drawn deeper into the mystery, one question becomes impossible to ignore: did Jonathan vanish - or was he written out of the story?


Information about programme, and ticket sales including online tickets can be found here.

Over on Instagram there is a chance to win a pair of online tickets. Information can be found here.

#HCFW26

No comments: