Thursday, 27 August 2026

Adele Parks on Eyes on You and love in 2026

If I met you in an elevator and we were travelling a few floors together I might try to pitch to you, my new suspense thriller, Eyes On You I would tell you that it is about a brutal murder, a broken witness, a dangerous obsession and that Amy, our traumatised but resilient, protagonist is all three of those things. Humans are complex, we can be many things at once. We’re formed by all our experiences, relationships, memories and secrets. When Amy was just 15, she watched her father brutally murder his secret lover. Her testimony put him behind bars for a very long time. She’s basically very troubled.

We meet Amy age 32, just when her father might be eligible for parole. Unsurprisingly, after that childhood trauma, Amy hasn’t reached her full potential but lives in the shadow of that infamous night. She works in a grotty, noodle bar; she’s wasted away her twenties in shock and shame hiding from the notoriety of the crime, she’s set to do the same with her thirties. Given the chance, therapists would have a lot to investigate, but she’s a loner and doesn’t let anyone in, personally or professionally. However, that is about to change when a stranger walks into the restaurant where she works. Oliver Harrington also has a past he’d rather not dwell on; he too is an example of trauma shaping identity. The pair feel an instant attraction, that mercurial, much sought after, once in a lifetime fascination with each other. They bond so intensely that it feels like love. But is it?

In this book I wanted to dive deep into what we think love is now in 2026; a complex, much-therapized, emotionally intelligent, extremely exposed, cynical world. I’ve written a particularly dark and twisty psychological suspense novel which is very character based. The more I investigated this matter, the more questions I had on how love can turn dangerous. What is the difference between extreme sexual attraction and being ‘in love’? I drew the conclusion that love is just a blink away from obsession, it is basically a matter of reciprocity. And stalking? The insidious companion to obsession, what’s that about? How do people justify such extremities in the name of love? 

In Eyes On You I write from various points of view, all the narrators consider themselves reliable, but are they? How do people who behave as wildly as they do in my novel – crossing moral, socially acceptable and even legal lines - justify their actions and see themselves as reasonable? I want readers to ask whether we ever truly know anyone, including ourselves. 

Eyes On You also looks at the themes of truth and perspective. I know there’s a fashion for ‘my truth’ or ‘their truth’, an acceptance that truth is subjective sometimes; I’m wondering if we’ve dismantled facts so much that there is no longer such a thing as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. If there is, I believe the reader is going to find it, not my characters who are as previously mentioned unreliable, far too good at telling themselves what they want to hear! I’m depending on you to sort through their dark minds and work it out. Who can you trust? 

This novel is fast paced and has multiple layers of secrets, secrets kept from the world, secrets kept within families, and secrets people keep from themselves. This meant I certainly challenged myself with plotting; constantly having to keep in mind who knows what about whom. Most of the time, readers know more than the characters do, although (I hope) not always and not everything because I’m here to entertain and I want you to gasp at some of the twists as you dig down. 

I often write about ordinary families who find themselves in extraordinary situations. Before Amy’s dad murdered his mistress in a jealous rage, she had believed her family were living a perfectly average, happy-enough life. She had no idea her father was having an affair. She thought he was a wonderful dad. I believe if readers relate to the characters starting point, they feel invested and perhaps, in some cases, even sympathetic when things get complicated. It was interesting to explore the way trauma echoes down through families and across generations. The idea behind this story is that whilst we don't choose our families or our history, we can choose what we do with what we inherit. I’m a believer in freewill. 

Eyes on You by Adele Parks (HQ HarperCollins) out 27th August 2026

Be afraid. Someone’s watching. At fifteen, Amy witnessed her father brutally murder his secret lover. Her testimony sealed her father’s fate. With him in prison, Amy and her mother must rebuild their lives in the shadow of a notorious crime. Years later, Oliver Harrington walks into the restaurant where Amy works. Just like Amy, Oliver has a past he’d rather forget. Amy is drawn to him at a profound level; they feel a connection, an understanding… This seems a lot like love, but does it hide something darker – an obsession that could lead Amy into a web of deception and violence she thought she’d escaped? As the truth looms ever closer, Amy must confront a harsh reality: where there is love, there is often betrayal.

More information about Adele Parks can be found on her website. You can also find her on X @adeleparks.and on Instagram @adele_parks.



No comments: