Wednesday 1 March 2023

Off to Bay Tales!!!

 

This is the second year that Bay Tales is taking place and initially when I got asked to Chair a panel last year my first thoughts to myself was why me? I was sure that there were a number of other people that they could have asked, and I was of course slightly apprehensive. However, my apprehension soon changed when I found out that I would be chairing a panel with Bay Tales patron the wonderful Ann Cleeves and with the equally wonderful and charming Vaseem Khan. It doesn't get better than that even though we were the opening act. I had a wonderful time chairing a chat between Ann and Vaseem and it was wonderful to be surrounded by such enthusiasm. It was also thoroughly enjoyable to be able to meet so many authors especially since the pandemic had put a big dent in crime fiction events. Being out and about was fantastic. Most importantly for an event that was being held for the first time Vic Watson and Simon Bewick pulled out all the stops. It was an event that certainly made it worthwhile for me to travel from Kent to Whitley Bay.

That was in 2022. Roll on 2023 and I will be back in Whitley Bay again. Am I looking forward to it? Most certainly yes. Aside from attending this one day crime fiction event will I be doing anything? Yes again. This year I shall be moderating a panel with Jack Jordan, Ruth Ware and debut author Jo Callaghan. I am certainly looking forward to it. 

Whitley Bay has a charm to it that this southerner quite likes. I do not often find myself up North and being able to not only take a long walk along the beach but take part in a crime fiction event as well is something to look forward to. My only concern is that I really don't like being cold. The weather is predicted to be between 5° and 3° Celsius on the Friday and 5° and – 1° Celsius on the Sunday. So I shall be wrapped up rather warmly whilst I am there. If you see someone wrapped up most likely wearing a red hat, a thick red scarf and red gloves then it's like to be me.

But what else is it about this event that I enjoy so much? The fact that it does not have two or more panels running at the same time is really good as it means that one does not have to make that rather frustrating decision as to which panel to attend. Bay Tales is also incredibly friendly. Both Vic Watson and Simon Bewick who are co-organisers of the event have made it their mission to make sure that this is an enjoyable event. Holding the event in a Playhouse as well is inspiring. The fact that it is also one of the first events of the crime fiction calendar is also a reason why it is a good event to attend. One gets the opportunity to ease oneself into the “season” of events.

Bay Tales is also a good place to start if you have never been to a crime fiction event before. Not too over whelming, great camaraderie and a great event where you can get to chat to various authors. This year there is also a number of other “side” events like Noir at the Bar where a number of authors get to read from their work and also On The Sofa with Victoria Selman.

If you haven't been before do seriously consider attending. It will certainly be worth it. See you there!



Photographs © Bay Tales

No comments: