Wednesday 24 April 2024

They say, ‘Write about what you know’… and so I do - By Tina Payne

Until recent years, I never really thought about being a crime fiction author, even though my head has been full of stories since I was a child. When I left school, I applied to join the police force but didn’t get accepted due to an inaccurate colour-blind test result (I’m over it now, by the way.) So, I went to work in a shop and quickly realised that I had a bit of a sixth sense. I could smell a shoplifter at a thousand paces and so I trained to become a store detective. I loved the excitement of the job, but looking back, I was young and stupid and didn’t think about the dangers, even when I was thrown into a canal after trying to apprehend a lad who had nicked a saucepan and some pencils. I remember thinking it was a strange combination of things to steal, as his gang of friends swung me back and forth by my arms and legs before launching me into the water.

By the late 1990s, I was working as a Prisoner Custody Officer in the cells and court rooms of London’s Magistrates and Crown Courts. When you’re standing in the dock at the Old Bailey, right beside someone on trial for murder, you watch them as closely as you watch the jury filing back in to deliver their verdict. After years of studying jurors’ body language, I generally knew what the verdict would be, before the foreman/forewoman said ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty’. It was a job that I loved, but again, it came at a cost. Having been assaulted more times than you can shake a stick at, I still suffer wrist pain from the time a six-foot Thai boxer, who I was handcuffed to, decided to drag me to the floor. All the ‘how to restrain a prisoner’ techniques that I’d been taught, went out of the window. Luckily for me however, as we both fell, he ended up underneath me. So, I decided to sit on him and that’s where I stubbornly remained, until my colleagues arrived to help. When they asked me what had happened, I simply replied, ‘He was kicking off, so I dropped him.’ They thought I was cool. Did I ever admit to them what had really happened? Of course I did. Eventually.

Then there was the defendant who started to catch butterflies, while I stood next to him in the dock at Horseferry Road Magistrates Court. Just to clarify, there were no butterflies in the court room, just this guy hallucinating, or pretending to. The Magistrate remanded him in custody for psychiatric reports, but this fella refused to leave the dock. The Magistrate was furious and I may have panicked. Not wanting to cause a scene, I did the only thing I could think of. I picked him up and carried him out of the court room. (The defendant, not the Magistrate. Although that would have been fun.)

This reminds me of another prisoner who was six foot five and about thirty stone (and I’m not exaggerating). I was alone with him, and he was refusing to go into his cell. He could have flicked me away like a bug and I knew it. And so did he. I had two choices. Choice one was to single-handedly try to drag him into the cell, which was probably going to hurt (me, not him). Choice two was to offer him a cup of tea and a cigarette if he complied. There was only one problem with these two choices. I was stubborn and refused to ever let a prisoner intimidate me. And I NEVER backed down. So, I went for the only other choice that I could think of, humour. I put my hands on my hips and smiling broadly, I looked up at him and said, ‘You can either walk into your cell like a man, or I will drop you right here on the floor and drag you in there, screaming like a baby.’ From his lofty height, he frowned down at me. Then, he placed an enormous hand on my shoulder, burst out laughing and replied. ‘Well, you’re either really brave or really crazy.’ And he was still laughing as he turned, walked into his cell, and sat down.

Then there was a prisoner who was brought in for rape. Multiple rapes. His whole demeanour had me fooled for a while. The first time he arrived in court, I actually turned to my colleague and said, ‘Do you think the police might have the wrong guy?’ Don’t get me wrong, I had dealt with thousands of prisoners, watched them, talked to them, learned their tricks, listened to their lies. I was no fool, but this guy was hauntingly deceptive. In court, he carried himself with such a compelling and frightening ‘air of innocence’, that I wondered just how many other people in the court room that day, thought the same as me. That this guy could be innocent. He came back a week later and everything about him had completely changed. He literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. They hadn’t got the wrong guy. He was a monster, a monster who’d been caught. Eventually convicted and sentenced to life, he is deemed to be one of the worst sexual predators this country has ever seen. He had fooled me, just as he had fooled his victims.

Having left the courts of London, I went on to spend 14 years with Norfolk Police, working as a Case Investigator in the Domestic Violence Unit. Far too many stories of the abuse that the victims I dealt with, still echo in my ears today. I will never forget how I felt every day, arriving at work, hoping and praying that the victims I had been dealing with, had not been murdered overnight. Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of age, sex, or social standing. I have dealt with far too many victims, from all walks of life. Even serving police officers.

So, when I write, I write about what I know. I will never use actual cases in my novels, but I will use my experience in life and the Criminal Justice system, to bring stories of crime to the reader. Stories with an echo of the raw truth of real life. My characters will never be directly based on anyone that I know or have met. But maybe part of them pours out of me and onto the pages that I write.

When I finished my debut crime fiction novel, Long Time Dead, with DI Sheridan Holler at the heart of it, I knew that it had to be a series because I could never let her go. She is a detective with a strong moral compass and isn’t afraid to push the boundaries in order to get justice. Long Time Dead is out now, set in Liverpool and the Wirral and published by Thomas and Mercer. The second in the series, This Ends Now, is out in October 2024 and the third will be published in April 2025.

Long Time Dead is by Tina Payne (Thomas & Mercer) Out April 2024

A cold case that is no longer cold. A suspect who's been murdered. A silenced witness. DI Sheridan Holler is used to solving crimes on Liverpool’s streets, but after a decayed corpse turns up in a cemetery, she finds herself reopening not one but two cold cases. Seven years earlier, two women were gunned down and the only suspect, small-time drug dealer John Lively, was never seen again. Case closed. Until the body in the cemetery is identified as his. Holler needs to work out if Lively was killed out of revenge, or was just a victim of the criminal world he inhabited. When shocking evidence is revealed about the murder weapon, Holler’s cold case starts to look hopeless once more. But defeat is not an option. Driven by the unsolved and traumatic murder of her brother when they were children, DI Holler’s pursuit of justice is relentless. As old wounds are reopened, the police close in on the killer, but the threat of them striking again is all too real. Can DI Holler put the pieces of the puzzle together before anyone else winds up dead?

You can find T M Payne on X @Tinap66payne


No comments: