Thursday 3 March 2022

David Leadbeater on The Vatican Secret


For me personally, The Vatican Secret is a brand new fusion of styles, involving deep historical research centred around the Vatican, the church and Christianity combined with the action-packed, fast-paced novels that I am used to writing. When I got my publishing deal with Harper Collins/Avon Publishing I knew that I wanted to produce a new series that involved historical research and exhilarating action. I have always had a notion running around my head – that there might actually be a Vatican Book of Secrets – and this seemed like the perfect time to build a story around that idea.

My earlier influences come straight from the books I read in my youth – stories written by the likes of Stephen King, Clive Cussler, Stephen Donaldson and Tolkien. I’m pleased to say that I always enjoyed reading a wide range of genres, which is most probably why I relish mixing writing themes to this day. My more recent influences come from absolutely everywhere… from the authors of fast-paced adventure novels to TV series, movies and everyday life. I am always on the lookout for a new idea and have been known whilst on a family outing to stop the car and park up just to get something down on paper. The same thing can happen in the dead of night. Sometimes I will just have to turn on the light and jot something down on the pad I keep by the side of the bed. I find that ideas gestate from ideas. You find a thread and pull on it, see in what direction it takes you.

Anything can fire my imagination, from a single sentence spoken by a fictional character or even a newsreader, to a scene witnessed in my local supermarket. But nothing is set in stone. Changes do happen during the writing process – for instance, at the onset of planning I never envisioned that The Vatican Secret or its sequel The Demon Code, would involve a secret society hell bent on taking down the Church. I feel these are the best moments – when an idea-swerve just develops out of nowhere or when the actions of a character take on a life of their own, sending you in a different direction to that which you originally intended. 

Although I have written fast-paced conspiracy thrillers before The Vatican Secret was a new venture for me in terms of pacing, depth and length. I had to find a way to keep the excitement ramped up over a longer period whilst at the same time weaving in a large amount of historical fact and fiction. The wonderful places we visit across the globe were inspiring to research and offered a resplendent backdrop to the story.

I love the action/adventure side of writing, and I love the research side. It’s two different styles working in tandem. Switching between the two helps keep the focus fresh. And more often than ever before, whilst researching this book I found myself hoping the description I just entered into Google didn’t get me into trouble!

For me, the characters are the beating heart of the book. Finding the right characters in Joe Mason and his new friends was an absolute must and, fortunately, I feel I was able to do that. The Vatican Secret is a fast-paced conspiracy thriller that takes our heroes around the globe, but it is also a heartfelt story of one man’s struggle to come to terms with the failures of his past, of re-learning to trust in the team dynamic and of awkward relationships that might just grow if properly fuelled. 

The Vatican Secret by David Leadbeater (HarperCollins) Out Now

An ancient relic. A deadly enemy. A secret he'll protect with his life... When ex-MI5 operative Joe Mason is sent to Rome to guard an elderly professor and his daughter, he thinks he's in for an easy ride. But on their first day in the Vatican secret archives, a masked assassin gains entry, shoots Joe's client in cold blood and steals an ancient manuscript. Giving chase, Joe can't imagine what could lie within those pages that would make someone willing to kill. The search for answers leads Joe and his comrades in a race against time, across continents and into treacherous mountains. Only they have a hope of rescuing the Vatican Book of Secrets before a centuries-old enemy can succeed in bringing Rome - and the world as we know it - crashing down..

You can find more information about his books on his website. You can find him on Twitter @dleadbeater2011 and on Facebook.



No comments: