Thursday 18 January 2024

Mari Hannah on the importance of Libraries

My journey to publication is somewhat unusual. I have no degree. No MA in creative writing. No background in journalism as many writers do. In fact, the opposite is true. I’m from an army family. We were transient. My education suffered as a result. I had minimal access to books as a child.

Packing up and moving on every couple of years or so meant that books were low down the priority list for my parents who, every couple of years, had to box up our lives for pastures new. They were seen as luxuries, rather than staples, in our house. Dragged from location to location, I spent a lot of time on my own, lonely, and yet trying to make new friends. I had good teachers, but encouragement without consistency can only go so far.

If I was lucky enough to get hold of a book from the library, I used to devour it, losing myself in its pages. Later, I used my imagination to make up stories of my own. Books, whether borrowed or self-written, became my friends. My passion for writing grew from that feeling of isolation.

Several decades on, I’m still striving to improve the vocabulary that should have been there when I left school. It’s why I visit libraries often to share my work and engage with readers. One of the greatest compliments I was ever paid was from a man who’d never read a book until he was given one of mine. He’s now an avid reader.

During the last twelve years, I have met thousands of library users. Next month, I’ll celebrate the publication of my fifteenth title, The Longest Goodbye. This milestone would never have been possible without their support.

The Longest Goodbye by Mari Hannah (Orion Publishing) Out Now

Lies Cost Lives. Three years ago, police officer Georgina Ioannau was murdered, her killers never brought to justice. Now the prime suspects have been shot dead within hours of their return to the UK. Has someone finally taken the law into their own hands? Seeking out the truth will force Kate Daniels to confront her own past mistakes, and put her career, and her team's lives, on the line.

More information about Mari Hannah and her books can be found on her website. You can also find her on X @Mariwriter

No comments: