Sunday 29 May 2022

In The Lyme Crime Spotlight: Jack Jordan

 Name:- Jack Jordan

Job:- Author and Tutor

Twitter:- @JackJordanBooks

Introduction:-

Jack Jordan is the author of five books and one novella. He is also a self-confessed bibliomaniac. He tutors at The Novelry. 

Current book?

I’m currently reading Sarah Pearse’s next blockbuster thriller, The Retreat! Those who loved The Sanatorium will absolutely love this.

Favourite book:-

Such a tough one! I’d have to say Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Waters perfectly blends commercial fiction with literary flair, combining a whiplash-invoking pace of plot with deep character exploration. The twisting, deceptive narrative is practically impossible to predict, throwing off even the most practised sleuth!

Which two characters would you invite to dinner and why?

Ooooh! I would invite Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games to find out how her life has been after her battles in the Games. I would then ask Harry Cane from Patrick Gale’s A Place Called Winter to hear his spellbinding story from his own lips.

How do you relax?

Sugary food and reality TV! I am a sucker for The Real Housewives. Although I’d say I only really relax one week of the year when I go on holiday abroad. I love nothing more than lying in the sun with a good book!

What book do you wish you had written and why?

The Girls by Emma Cline. Cline takes the infamous story of the Mason Murders and injects life into the characters in ways that had been saturated from the legend, particularly Manson’s Girls, revealing the innocence deep within the monsters they ultimately became. I am so in love with it that I can’t bring myself to write a cult-themed novel because I know that it would never be able to live up to my appreciation of The Girls!

What would you say to your younger self if you were just starting out as an author?

My journey as a writer has been filled with many ups and downs, including many points where it might have been more logical to quit rather than continue with my dogged perseverance! So, I would tell my younger self to persevere with the knowledge that all of my dreams will come true and allow myself to sleep more soundly!

Why do you prefer to write standalone books as opposed to a series and would you consider writing a series?

The ideas for my books always tend to be rather different to each of their respective predecessors, so it’s always made more sense to have them separate from one another. I like the freedom of not knowing where I might explore next! I also put my characters through hell in my books, so if I were to carry a character through a series, putting them through hellish situation after hellish situation, I fear I’d have readers writing in to ask me to cut my poor characters some slack!

What are you looking forward to at Lyme Crime?

Getting to meet the readers and sign copies of Do No Harm! I’m also really looking forward to visiting Lyme Regis for the first time. I’d go as far as to say that Lyme Crime wins for best crime festival location in the UK events circuit! Who doesn’t love their crime with a sea view?!

Do No Harm by Jack Jordan (Simon and Schuster) 

My child has been taken. And I've been given a choice - kill a patient on the operating table, or never see my son again. The man lies on the table in front of me. As a surgeon, it's my job to save him. As a mother, I know I must kill him. You might think that I'm a monster. But there really is only one choice. I must get away with murder. Or I will never see my son again. I've saved many lives. Would you trust me with yours?

You can also find Jack Jordan on TikTok – jackjordan_author and on Instagram @jackjordan_author and on Facebook

Tickets can be bought here:- https://www.lymecrime.co.uk/tickets--contact.html


No comments: